Super Girls

Super Girls
These are my two beautiful girls 1 and 3

Saturday, April 29, 2017

My profession

There are so many things about my profession that outsiders don't tend to understand.  I am a teacher and I am about to finis up my 8th year in the profession.  Most people don't hear anything about teachers unless they make the news for doing something bad, or because they ha to call you when your child decided to make a bad decision.  Most people don't know what it looks like from the inside.  I'm not looking for praise because I think we're all over worked and underpaid, even though we are.  And these days right here at the end of the year I am more likely to be fed up than enthusiastic, but it's those kids that keep me coming back every single day.  This is not a job for the faint of heart.  I have been treated pretty poorly by some children and adults over the past eight years, but that's not what it's all about.  That is not the reason that I sometimes feel like I spend more time thinking about my kids a school than the ones I have at home.  My husband and I have had some pretty awesome opportunities to really be there for some of our kids this past year through their hard times and has gotten me to thinking.  If you are not in the thick of it I don't know if you know.  Like do you know that I don't think I have met a teacher who hasn't at one time thought about how they would rearrange their home and their whole life just to bring that one kid who needs it home with you.  I don't think there is a teacher out there who goes home and doesn't worry about at least one of them.  Will they have anything to eat?  Is someone going to love on them today?  Most of us go home and pray for them for our babies as we call them in our heads.  We have to worry when we are out if the sub is going to understand them like we do, they probably don't know the back story.  Some of the stories I hea those children tell about their lives with a straight face puts tears in my eyes, but even if I could they won't let me bring all those babies home with me.  We are the ones who are there for your kids when you can't be, or when they can't figure out how to talk to you.  We quiet tears soothe fears, and just love them.  No matter whether you see this side of an educator or not it's there.  You can't do this job if your hearts not for the kids.  All those babies who wiggle their way into your heart despite yourself.  Even with just a few weeks let in the school year when I am at my wits end I can stop and remember that these kids need me whether they want to admit it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment