Super Girls

Super Girls
These are my two beautiful girls 1 and 3

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Cookie cutters and comparisons

I have know for a long time that comparisons are my biggest problem.  As much as I like to proclaim that I don't care what other people think, and sometimes I don't, sometimes I don't sometimes it's all me in my heart and head, comparisons are at the center of so many of my problems.  Am I strong enough to handle this situation?  Look at her if she can do it I should be able to also.  Am I a good enough mom, because she seems to have herself so much more together than me?  Am I doing enough for my students?  She seems to have so much more to give than I do.
I have never realized before how much this played into my relationship with God.  Is my relationship good enough because I don't do it like she does?  Is my worship sincere enough because I didn't cry?  Is my story good enough?  Is the normal bad stuff that I overcame even worth mentioning?  Since mine is not as drastic is it even worth sharing?
When I was on the way to work the other morning they came on the radio talking about how we didn't have to be a cookie cutter Christian, and that spoke to me.  Now you have to understand this is a slippery slope for me.  When I started losing faith in my teenage years because of my family situation, my depression, and all the rejection and criticism I felt from the christians in my life, this was my excuse.  I used it as my crutch.  Anyone who knows me knows that I am different and I don't mind being that way.  I am loud, opinionated, quirky, and just weird.  I always have been and I love it usually.  Sometimes it causes me to doubt myself and sometimes it gives me an out.  In my teenage years I used this thought of not being a cookie cutter Christian as an excuse to fall away.  I used it to tell myself that because of this if I didn't go to church it was ok, because my faith is just about me and God anyway.  I used it as an excuse to stop reading my bible and my devotionals.  I eventually used it as an excuse to stop praying like I should.
Now when I think of not being a cookie cutter Christian I see it very differently and some of it was they way they presented on the radio.  There are things that all christians should do; go to church, pray, and read the Bible.  Not fitting into the cookie cutter doesn't take those things away it just may change the way that we go about them and it may change how we act on those things we get from church, the Bible, or God himself.  It doesn't get to be my excuse this time, but it can free me.  It can free me from some of those comparisons, or at least I hope.  I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment